Markrt Street c1900 Courtesy of the Wynne Collection
Also known as ‘The top of Main Street’ this street is conjoined with Bridge Street and was the commercial centre of the town. After the construction of the bridge and up until 1800 this was the only way of crossing the river. Market Street and Bridge Street combined are known locally as one ‘MainStreet’. Trading in the town grew and traders flocked to the town to join the Bridge Street traders extending the street westward. Shops opened along the street and markets were held here. Many travel writers in the mid 1800’s comment on the one Main Street of about 1km long. The market was eventually moved to Market Square but its name continued as Market Street. Pigot’s Directory of 1824 lists almost 100 businesses on the street in that year.