Interior of Christ Church c1900 Courtesy of the Lawrence Collection
This street leads to Westport from the Mall. This street is also known as Church Street because of the Anglican Church, Christ Church. There was and still are just three churches in Castlebar. The Methodist Church is located on the opposite side of the Mall to the Anglican church and the Catholic Church is on Chapel Street. The most important church which was frequented by the Binghams was centrally located beside the mall and other important buildings. It was built in 1739 and the grounds were used as a burial place until 1804. None of the Lord Lucans are buried here as their remains were sent back to England. The church was badly damaged during the rebellion of 1798 and was not rebuilt properly until 1829. A wall was also erected for protection that secures the church even to this day.