Charles Gordon Lennox,the 5th Duke of Richmond. Courtesy of the National Portrait Gallery.
Duke Street was named in honour of the Duke of Richmond. In 1859, the 4th Earl of Lucan George Bingham married Lady Cecelia Catherine, the Duke’s only daughter and George had a street named after him. He was Sir Charles Gordon-Lennox, 5th Duke of Richmond and there is no evidence that he ever visited Castlebar. Born in 1791 in London, he was educated at Trinity College Dublin. He had a distinguished military career rising to the rank of Captain and holding many offices including Aide-de-Camp for the Duke of Wellington and both HM King William IV and HM Queen Victoria. He was bestowed with numerous titles during his lifetime and fought during the Peninsular Wars and was present in 1815 at the famous battle of Waterloo. The Duke was knighted in 1829 and died in 1860.