Ellison Street c1900. Courtesy of the Wynne Collection
This street was named after Reverend Dr Thomas Ellison. Mr. Ellison, after studying at Trinity College became rector of the Protestant Church, Magistrate of Castlebar and also land agent for Lord Lucan, making him both loved and loathed by the various citizens of the town. The family moved to Mayo from England in the middle of the 17th century. Thomas Ellison was in Killala at the time of the French landings during the rebellion of 1798 and the family moved away by the end of the 19th century. The Castlebar House Survey published in 1842 shows that this street was home to the more wealthy inhabitants with mostly private residences and offices (Valuation Office House Books, 1842). Dr Ellison resided on this street.